Monday, October 19, 2009

Teaching My First Class

Last month, Lexi and Pat asked me to teach a class at Coyote Creek. They love my wire wrapping and wanted to offer an advanced wire wrapping class to those students who had taken the beginning wire wrapping class that Pat teaches. I agreed and this past weekend I had 5 students at the studio in Coyote Creek located in Fairplay, Colorado.

This was the first time I've ever taught a class and I wanted to provide some tips and tricks that you generally receive when you attend a class. For me, that is one of the real benefits of a class when the teacher shares things that you can't find in books or online. I believe I was able to accomplish that for this class. Some of what I shared were those lessons we learn when we make mistakes...hoping to help them avoid those!

The drive from Colorado Springs to Fairplay is a pretty one and one of my favorite parts was the crossing over Wilkerson Pass. The panorama of the mountains covered with snow as you come over that pass is stunning. It just takes my breath away. At one point there was a hot air balloon taking off and that made for a lovely scene. I only had my little digital camera with me and I just couldn't do justice to what I was seeing, so no pictures to post here.

We completed one pendant and there were a number of "Ah Ha" moments throughout the class. It ran longer than I anticipated and I feel bad about that. I underestimated a few things and if/when I teach another class, I know what I can do to prevent some of the "time eating" exercises. I guess that's somewhat normal, you learn what to do for class preparation and planning from each class you teach. The setting is dynamic and with this being my first time to teach, I didn't anticipate some of the situations that arose.

I put together my first step by step tutorial for them to follow as we completed the lesson. Dan took pictures of me putting together a piece and I wanted them to have something to refer back to after the class. Each pendant had the spin of the person completing it and they were a fun group.

While my focus isn't on wire wrapping as much any more, I am more than happy to share with others who want to learn. As I was leaving, one of them asked me to teach another class and I've heard some rumblings that others are interested too. We shall see. Given the approach of winter, I think a safer bet will be a class later in the spring months.

I learned something from them too and it was a worth while experience for me.

Until next time, aspire to be more as an artist and a person.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool! You are going to be such an awesome teacher. What a fun class this is going to be.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kathleen, if you've already been asked for more, it was a great class! You can't anticipate everything and learning from the experience is part of the fun!! Kudos!!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Sheila!

Hey Linda...appreciate your thoughts as I know you've taught a lot of classes. Thanks!

-Don said...

Those "ah-ha" moments are the most rewarding moments, aren't they? Congratulations on a successful first outing. I knew you'd do well...

Sharmon Davidson said...

Kathleen, I think it's very cool that you taught a class! It sounds like it was a good experience for both you and the students. As a full time teacher, I can assure you that you are constantly learning as you teach- that's what makes you a good teacher. The first class is always the "guinea pig" group!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Don!
Yes, I like it when I see something 'click' for someone. Thanks for your vote of confidence too! :)

Hi Sharmon,
Wow, nice to hear your thoughts especially knowing you teach full time. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

From all of your teaching here on your blogs, I'm sure you were a natural. It can be tough, but to hear someone say how you've changed something for them (the way they look at or understand something for example)...such a great reward of teaching.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I couldn't agree with you more Karen...seeing someone learn something new is very rewarding.

Shay Stone said...

How exciting that you taught a class! You rock Kathleen:)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Ah, thanks Shay! ** blushing **

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Just catching up with all the blogs I've missed whilst I've been busy.

Wow, teaching now as well! Is there no end to your talents? I'm sure you're a great teacher from reading your step by procedures you have detailed in past blog posts. My advice would be to put yourself in the place of the learner - but you've been doing that with your metalwork - so I reckon you're right there already.
Best of luck with any future classes.
K :)