Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Colorado Wildflowers ~ The Flower Garden Series


Colorado Wildflowers
The Flower Garden Series
Photograph Credit ~ Daniel Krucoff

I would like to debut my new glass series I am calling The Flower Garden Series. This bowl is called Colorado Wildflowers as it reminds me of some of the open meadows we can see in Colorado that are filled with beautiful wildflowers.

Ever since I lived in Texas, I fell in love with the wildflowers that would bloom in spring. Bluebonnets and Indian Paint Brush filled fields and the shoulders of the Texas highways. They were beautiful, especially in the hill country close to Austin. It's a must see in my book, if you've never visited Texas in March to see nature's splendor.

Lately I tend to experience something I can visualize in my mind's eye and this bowl is the first of many where I see glass shards creating a wildflower scene. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is one of my favorite bowls. I hate the thoughts of parting with it, but if it is meant to find another home, that is its path. This one will be one of my glass works that will be on exhibit during the month of August at Boulder Arts & Crafts in Boulder, Colorado.

I think the highest compliment I've received on this piece is from my husband Dan. He said it looks like an impressionistic painting. And that reminds me of another comment a fellow artist recently left on my blog, that some of my glass bowls look like I'm painting with glass. I was truly flattered by Deborah Younglao's comment, given her talents as a silk painter, that was a high compliment. Please check out her work on her blog and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

So I'm debuting a series that will be dedicated to the delicate beauty of wildflowers. Some of the ones I've completed in this series are bold and dramatic. Others a bit more subtle like this one.

For each of these, I start out with a blank of clear Bullseye Glass as the base. The I start adding glass shards and frit to create the look of grasses, stems, flowers and sky. I've really enjoyed experimenting with this process and I have definitely enjoyed the results.

I hope you like it. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Until next time, aspire to be more as an artist and a person.

7 comments:

-Don said...

I see why it's your favorite... it's GORGEOUS! Yep, I just yelled that... couldn't help myself. Kathleen, you're not just aspiring, you're achieving! Kudos.

-Don

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Oh, how very beautiful this bowl is. You know I love flowers, so I can't help loving this. I totally agree with impressionist painting likeness and hope you will share your processes with us on future pieces - I really enjoy seeing your glasswork in its creation stages.
Kristin :)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Don! Wish I could have heard you yell GORGEOUS. Thanks so much. I truly appreciate your comments....over-achiever that I aspire to be! :)


Hi Kristin!
Thank you. Yes, I will go through my process for these on a future post. I've been a bit rushed working on these pieces for the August exhibit, so I haven't taken the time to photograph some of my steps. I will do this at some point. Thank you again!

Karen said...

I can totally see why it's one of your favorites...it's definitely got more of a 'landscape' feel to it than some others... beautiful.
Deborah is right on!

Sharmon Davidson said...

OMG, this is fantastic! It does look like an impressionist painting, and I can just feel myself walking through a field of flowers when I look at it...

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Kathleen, before I read the text to this post, I said to myself that your bowls are looking more and more like paintings! Dan is right on and this is wonderful.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Karen! Thanks! I like your take on this.

Hey Sharmon! So glad you like it. Thanks for your assessment.

Hi Deborah! I am so happy you think it looks like a painting. That means a lot coming from someone who paints!