Sunday, June 6, 2010

Spring Skies


Spring Skies
Sky-Scape Series
Photo Credit - Daniel Krucoff

Another in my Sky-Scape Series, I was thinking of colorful spring time skies as I worked on this piece. It was very difficult for Dan to photograph because I had more darker colored glass in this piece and trying to get the light to shine through with the highly reflective glass surface made it almost impossible to photograph. I had 1' square mirrors that I use in shows for my pieces when the lighting is low, so we thought that would help. I think it did some and it does give you the opportunity to see the underside of this bowl. This one truly is a bowl that you need to see in person and hold it so the sunlight shines through so you can see the colorful glasses I used.

All of the glass that I used for this piece are my favorite Bullseye sheets. I combined opals and transparents for this one. The crackling you see on the surface was created by the use of crystal clear frit in the chunky size. It's one of my thicker bowls, approximately 1/2" thick, so it is quite heavy. I do like how stout some of these bowls are, but I have started to tone down the thickness to 3/8" on others I'm currently working on. I thought it would be good to have a variety of thicknesses and then see what the public likes.

Currently it is on display at the Palmer Lake Art Group Fine Art Show at Tri-Lakes Center for the Arts in Palmer Lake, Colorado. The opening reception for this event will be this coming Friday, June 11th, from 5 - 8 PM. There will be refreshments and an open bar, along with live music. Generally there is a good turn out for this reception and Dan & I enjoy it a great deal.

Until next time, aspire to be more as an artist and a person!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, Your glass art is terrific. I will own one one day!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, Your glass art is terrific. I will own one one day!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thank you so much Lori!!! I would be honored to have one of my pieces find a home with you.

Susanne said...

Very beautiful Kathleen.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thank you Susanne!

-Don said...

OK. I'll admit it. I gasped out loud when I saw this. WOW! I have a new favorite!!!

-Don

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Yay! I'm glad you like this one so much Don. Wait til you see one of my personal favorites I will publish in a couple of days!!! Although, I REALLY like this one too as it has a very rich color base. It is stunning when the light shines through, even if I do say so myself. Thanks!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Gorgeous, Kathleen! I want one!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Oh, thanks so much Sharmon. Anytime you are interested in one or a particular color, just give me a shout!

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

kathleen I love how you are literally painting with glass. Outstanding!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Deborah! Your comment means a great deal to me, coming from an artist of your caliber.

Karen said...

Stunning! I think the photo gets its beauty well...the colors are just beautiful!!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Oh, thanks so much Karen!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Gorgeous, Kathleen! What an amazing piece.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks so much Elizabeth!!!