Sunday, August 9, 2009

Arrow In The Forest


Arrow in the Forest
12" square

I finished piece this weekend. You may recall that I did a step by step on the construction of this piece in a May post.

Once I completed coldworking the edges of the plate it was ready for the next step...slumping.

The square sushi plate mold that I used for this piece is one of my favorites. The shape and the way it slopes when the slump is complete seems so elegant to me. I thought you might enjoy seeing the mold, shown in the picture below. The pink on it is the kiln wash that I've applied. This is a necessary step in the slumping process as the wash prevents the glass from sticking to the mold when it slumps.


This is how the fused blank looks as it sets on top of the mold, prior to being put in the kiln for slumping. Once the correct slumping temperature is reached, the glass 'drops', ok it slumps, into the mold and takes on the shape of the mold.



I used some of my favorite Bullseye glasses for this. I've become quite fond of the richness the mineral green opal shade. It lends itself so well as a compliment to the dark green streakie. And I had a lot of fun with the wine colored 'arrow' accented with yellow and clear glass.

Here's wishing all of you a great week of creativity.

13 comments:

SCJ Jewelry Design said...

Beautiful, Kathleen! Thanks for the pic's and description of the slumping process. I've always wondered how that happens, but I've never asked.

Sophie said...

Beautiful! I love the rich greens. thanks for sharing the pictures of the mold, that's really interesting :)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Sandy and Sophie! As I was working on the slumping of this piece I thought I hadn't shown how the process to form into the mold was done. Glad both of you enjoyed it and like the piece.

Tracey Clarke said...

Another beautiful piece, Kathleen....

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thank you so much Tracey!

Jim Puzinas said...

Awesome design, so unique!

Anonymous said...

Love it Love it. Good work. I plan to buy a piece of your artwork late fall.

Kim said...

hi Kathleen
your work is beautiful!!!
your blogs are now listed at TAD
Please consider adding a TAD badge/link to your blogs ..thank you
cheers Kim

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thank you sooooo much Lori! I would be honored and humbled to have you own one of my pieces.

Hey thanks Kim! I appreciate being included in the Top Artists Directory. And I will add badges to my blogs. Thanks so much.

Holly said...

Stunning!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks so much Holly!

Karen said...

It's a beautiful piece, and again, I admire your dedication to finishing a piece started in May!

I finally understand why it's called slumping! :)

And, someone in my painting class tonight had on a Bullseye t-shirt and I thought of you, of course.


p.s. I tried to leave you a comment on that fantastic piece you put up the other day on your metal blog (computer wouldn't upload it), but that works looks GREAT!!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Karen! Thanks so much. I don't even have a Bullseye T-shirt...I need to get one!
Glad you like the piece I just posted on the metalwork blog too. I've been experimenting. Cut out another design last night...just started working it.