Sunday, September 21, 2008

Invest in Yourself

I have to stress how important it is to invest in yourself and your continuing education. Learning art, or anything I think, requires that you are continually learning and growing.

Today reinforced my belief that learn anything and everything you can from people who are skilled, talented, and willing to share. Seek out those individuals whose work you admire and learn all you can from them.

I had the great opportunity today to attend a class taught by Kent Lauer. WOW.

And there were other artists who attended this workshop too. We all wanted to learn more. It is just terrific to hear others talk about their addiction to glass. What a medium! If it ever captures you, you're hooked.

Kent is phenomenal. Great knowledge, skills, and humor. Today I made two dichroic sculpture pendants, which I will wire wrap. And Kent will be coming to Glass at the Gardens on the opening reception on Wednesday night....now I hope all of my pieces will be accepted into the show when they are delivered tomorrow. What a week this is going to be.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I think I'm going to send this post to my husband...so he'll know it's not just me who's big on continuing education! :)

I hope you'll post some of the work you did at the workshop?

Good luck on the pieces going into the show!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I'm glad you are going to share this. I think there are so many of us who want to grow as artists and continuing education does pay off.

Yes, I will post the pieces I did in the workshop. I'll try to get a picture out in the next few days....maybe even tonight.

I plan on wire wrapping them, but won't be able to get to that until after next week due to other commitments.