Friday, September 5, 2008

Things Happen for a Reason

Those of you who know me well, know that I firmly believe things happen for a reason. We may not understand why when certain events are taking place, but ultimately, it becomes clear.

So many good, wonderful things have been happening for me with the response to my work. A fellow artist recommended that I submit my work to an online art wholesaler, which I did. It's been a learning experience and has helped me to grow. My submission went to the jury last Friday and yesterday I received the results. I wasn't accepted and that's ok. The jurors were very encouraging about where I am with my fused work right now, but I need to continue to develop my style in order to stand out from other fused glass artists. Deep down I know this is true and I've been working really hard the last couple of months to come up with ways to make my fused work more distinctive.

I have no arguments with their evaluations. In fact, I'm grateful to them and I'm actually relieved. Yep, relieved. When I submitted my work last week, I have to say it was with a good deal of trepidation, because I was concerned that if I was accepted I may actually have trouble keeping up with orders....if they came in with any volume at all. Remember, I'm a geek by day with a full time job in the corporate world, and artist by nights and weekends. I don't have a lot of spare time. While it would be great to deal with the problem of so many orders to fill, I think I'd rather ease into that situation gradually.

My loyalty belongs to Heather at Second Street who first gave me an opportunity to be in a gallery. I cannot and will not let her down.

My dear husband and soul mate sees this as a good thing too. Now I can approach other galleries, maybe in the mountain communities, Denver, or Santa Fe. If/when I'm accepted at another gallery, let's see how well I can keep up with the demand with two galleries, then move on to three, etc. Plus who knows what the exposure in Estes Park and Denver will do for me with those upcoming shows?

So I am learning from this experience. I've been exposed to how to present, prepare your work for jury review...I can do better. And a bonus for me is I had a couple of new ideas pop in my head this morning for things I want to create. I'm still working on things for the Glass at the Gardens show. I'm busy and most of all I'm happy.

Yes, trust me, things happen for a reason.........

No comments: