Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Aspen Branch - Painted Bowl

This is the largest of my Aspen Branch Series. It's a bowl, approximately 13" in diameter and about 2" deep.

I used Peter McGrain's Vitri-Fusaille technique to paint the branch and leaf stems. I just loved Karen's earlier comment on the beginning of this piece when I mentioned how I felt less timid painting this one! I really did feel more free to let myself paint what I pictured. Now I know this is just simple line drawing stuff...I just think it adds so much to a piece. It's great fun and I plan on doing more painting on glass.

For my next go round on this design, I think I'm going to use green leaves. It's so hard to tell how pretty the glass is for the leaves here. I used a very colorful Bullseye streaky that had reds, rusts, greens, and even some blues. That glass reminded me of autumn colors. I still find it very pretty, just too dark in the photo to show how everything turned out.

5 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

Kathleen,
Thanks for your comment. I think cardinals are beautiful, too, especially in contrast with the snow.Do you get much snow where you live in Colorado?

Karen said...

Oh I love the lines! They are this wonderful delicate contrast to the solidity of the bowl's shape.

p.s. I'm anticipating the next posting of the blue one (previous post)...I like the step-by-step. I keep thinking What's coming next? :)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Karen. I always appreciate your feedback and thoughts about what I am doing.

Hey Sharmon. You know, the amount of snow we get varies, year by year. This year has been somewhat sparse...we could use the moisture now.

I hope to post some pictures of the blue bowl, work in progress, in the next day or so. I took it out of the steel ring and there are LOTS of jagged points to eliminate. I'll try to capture that in a bit of a step by step process.

Misa said...

This is really beautiful!!!
I'm learning some things about glass from your blog!
Misa

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Misa!