Friday, February 27, 2009

The Planet Neptune ~~ Embellished

It's done and even if I do say so myself, I think it is beautiful. The piece, formerly known as the blue bowl, is finished. I kept thinking it looked like a planet and after some discussion with my husband, he said it was blue like the planet Neptune. So now it has a title..."The Planet Neptune ~~ Embellished". The reason I added the embellished part of this is, with the copper inclusions and rust colored squiggles, there were some artistic liberties taken on my part. I almost think I may be finding that abstract part of my creativity! :)

I thought I should include a picture of Neptune as reference. I like the similarities.

As a footnote, during the coldworking process, I did expose one of the trapped air bubbles. That happened on the edge that I worked so hard to define. Hopefully it won't be viewed as a flaw, as it isn't, it's just part of the piece.

Now I'm working on Hues of Nature. That one is 1/2" thick. Neptune is 3/8" thick. I just love the weight to these bowls.

8 comments:

Misa said...

I was watching this bowl and how it was "maturing" - and I love it! And the name is actually very pretty, guys can have good ideas after all :-)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Misa! I appreciate your comment and you made me smile!

Kathleen

Karen said...

Cool! The finished product! I agree, it's been really neat to watch it evolve. I really also like the stand you put it on...I was wondering how it would be displayed. Do you usually use these types of stands for the bowls?

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Karen,

I'm glad you like it. Yes, I found this type of stand last year and think it works well for the bowl. Although the bowl can "stand alone"; I do like having it in a stand....I think it helps to keep them stable and less easier to tip over. :)

SCJ Jewelry Design said...

It is Fabulous! I have enjoyed reading and watching it evolve into its' own. The name is also perfect. Thanks for taking us on this journey with you :)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Sandy! It was my pleasure sharing the journey of this bowl. I'm so happy everyone has enjoyed watching the progress.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Ditto on all the comments already left here! I love the color, and the 'curlies' really add to the interest. I hope you'll continue to use them in other designs.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thank you Deborah!

Yes, I plan on continuing to use the 'curlies' in my future projects. They are great fun to make and incorporate into the glass. :)