Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fun


This is the mass of stringers I created this afternoon. I suppose it looks a little strange; there's wonderful beauty in that mass of glass strings!

I did a lot today. One of my bonus projects was making stringers. It's so nice that my failed fused projects can be recycled and used again. This batch came from one of my first attempts to slump a vase. I misunderstood some things about the process and the vase was lost. So, I broke it into pieces and saved them for use in a screen melt or to create stringers.

While I was cleaning the studio yesterday, I ran across my box of recycle glass and decided it would be great fun to create stringers with this glass. The glass is a lovely shade of deep rusty orange and because of some of the prior inclusions for the vase, I have some pieces with color variations.


This is how things looked as I loaded a clay pot filled with the broken pieces and set it in the kiln this morning. Once heated, the glass flows through the hole in the bottom of the pot and the fiberboard it sits on. I had such fun, pulling, twisting, shaping the glass while it was in its molten form.






Here's a close up of some of the end results. I love the variety of thickness, shapes, and color. Now I will use these in other fused projects as they add a lot to plates, bowls, even jewelry designs!

1 comment:

Sophie said...

they sound like they're a lot of fun to make