Monday, February 2, 2009

Results - Bowl after 1st fuse

Fresh from the kiln, and after it cooled to room temperature, I took this picture of the bowl blank. I had a few 'surprises' and I'm happy to report I'm pleased with all of them.

The copper mesh remained copper color; I used clear glass to cap all but one. A few surprise elements are the red striker strips, which I think create an interesting balance/effect.

And I am very happy to see how well rounded everything turned out. I'll take it out of the steel ring and begin the coldwork phase. That can be time consuming, the rough edges need to be ground down and then the staged polishing of the outer edge. Once that is done, I can slump it in the bowl mold for the finished product.

I like the contrasts here and find the blue glass rich with color. Not sure what I'll call this one yet...may wait until it is complete.

4 comments:

Tracey Clarke said...

Wow. Amazing. K, youshould give us all a tutorial so we can follow how you work. It would be great to understand the process!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Great idea Tracey. I will try to do a more detailed step by step on my next bowl. In the meantime, I can try to show some of what the next steps will be in getting this ready for the next firing in the kiln.

Thanks.

MarilynM said...

It's beautiful, Kathleen, I agree with Tracey, a tutorial would be a great idea!

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Interesting how different the glass looks before and after fusing. You have to deal with elements of the unknown as I do in my dye-painting! Looking foward to see what becomes of this.