I started work on another piece this weekend and took some work in progress pictures. It's not finished and is waiting in line behind "Hues of Nature" for coldworking.
I'm calling this one "Eclipse of the Black Moon". This first picture shows how it looked after the fusing was complete, the fiber dam in place that kept it at the 3/8" depth.
After my unsuccessful columbine piece, I decided to go more abstract and utilize some of the stringers I've been making over the past couple of months. I had this design in my head that involved red and black. When fusing black, you have to be careful so the black doesn't overwhelm the piece in the process. This is close to what I was thinking about in terms of imagery and just started to evolve into this design as I worked with the stringers.
This rich red Bullseye that became the background. I added some black, rust, and amber stringers. I layered a circle of black with a circle of red on top, and a few more stringers. I took a photo before the fusing to show how the stringers were place upon the surface of the top piece of glass.
This photo was also taken after the fusing and shows how I sandwiched a dark gray between two of the reds so from the side it will also have something of interest.
I'm also considering a umber paint wash that I'll use on the surface and then add some more effects to emphasize the glass elements. I'll add that once I'm done with the coldworking.
Once all the prep work is done, then the last step will be to slump this in a 8" square dish mold that I have.
Stay tuned for more pics ...... :)