Thursday, March 19, 2009

Investment in the business....ok, new toy... wait, it's BOTH!

I have finally taken the leap and purchased a real piece of coldworking equipment. With some of my latest thick pieces, this is just a necessity.

Part of the impetus for this purchase was D & L had/has a screaming price on this particular machine after their Kent Lauer classes earlier this month. They will have extra machines for Kent's dichroic sculpture classes (which I took last fall) and then offer them at a discount. Their discount this go round was too good to pass up.

I pick up this jewel next Friday, along with some other items. Now, it may not look real pretty to most of you, but it is a real beauty to me. Another work horse tool to add to my arsenal. I love tools!

The machine I currently use is more for a 'hobbyist' and was a temporary measure until I could justify a professional model. Well, I'm to a point where I need this industrial machine. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to finish Meteor Shower in time for the submission deadline. :(

I really need a machine with the capabilities of this new one I'm getting in order to complete the cold work in time. That's ok, things happen for a reason, so maybe there's another...possibly better venue for Meteor Showers. I'll keep all of you posted.

And thanks so much to all the people who follow and comment on my blog. I enjoy the interactions and friendships a great deal.

8 comments:

SCJ Jewelry Design said...

Oh, how I love new toys! I can't wait to see how Meteor Showers turns out! How is Hues of Nature coming along, or will that wait for the new coldworking toy also?

Love watching you create your glass items. I've always been a lover of glass art, but your blog gives me an entirely new appreciation for glass art and glass artists!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hey Sandy!

I actually worked more on Meteor Showers, Hues of Nature, and Eclipse of the Black Moon last night. I think more efficient use of my time will be to wait for my new machine, as it is such slow going with my little wet belt sander right now. It is taking hours to clean the edge and I'm still on my coarsest grit belt right now.

Hues is coming along pretty well, but it needs less coldworking. I'll see how this unfolds over the weekend, as I'm getting impatient to see the final result on that one.

I have some new designs I want to start on so I will probably cut glass and build new works that I can put in the kiln. I'll have a number of things in the queue, waiting for completion.

I'm glad you enjoy observing how I build my glass items. I'm having fun showing the development stages.

Sophie said...

ooooo new toy! that's always a great day when you get a new toy

and I love watching the progress of your pieces too!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Sophie! My Dad taught me the value of good tools...nice to be able to carry that over into our art! ;)

Tracey Clarke said...

Yaaahhh, for you!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Tracey! I am looking forward to picking up this little beauty next Friday. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious! I was tempted to buy one from D&L last year, but am still holding off - a friend lets me use hers. I think I'll seriously look at them when in Vegas at the trade show. Love your work.

Linda

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks Linda!

I am so flattered that you like my work.

Yes, this is a big investment plunge for me and I feel it's time now that I'm doing thicker pieces and I want that nice edge.